It claims to be a public policy body supported by public officials (i.e. state legislators). In reality it is only 1% funded by the "dues" these benighted, right wing, local yokel pols kick in. The 99% balance of its operating expenses is supplied by the likes of the well known, fascistic
After a decade or more of operating far below the radar screen of the corporate owned mainstream media, it has managed to build a membership of over a thousand state legislators around the country. This, courtesy of at least some 370 million dollars of funding, which can be accounted for; surely twice that much or more has greased this oily machine.
Here are just some of ALEC's public policy credits:
- The Wisconsin public employees anti-union debacle, which lead to the recall effort aimed at 8 legislators, and is scheduled for a vote this coming Tuesday, August 9th. Please see video of Tiger Hammond and others at: http://youtu.be/Uc5RUOu52hk.
- Advancing Banking legislation to require seniors to lose their homes via reverse mortgages, in order to receive Medicaid.
- Protecting Drug Company profits by banning states from allowing the importation of identical, safe, and far cheaper drugs from other countries like Canada.
- Protecting Oil Company profits from any renewable energy legislative actions.
- Protecting High Tech service providers by banning Municipal Broadband Service.
- Protecting companies from accountablity for killer asbestos exposure disease and disability.